Connections

Recently, I reconnected with a man I haven't seen in years through Facebook, of course! I saw these bright blue eyes staring out at me from his profile picture, a face that looked so familiar, but I couldn't place this person. I noticed my aunt was a mutual friend, and so I accepted his request after examining his wall. Then I quickly hopped onto chat to ask my aunt how I knew this guy. She guessed from school or a concert--but I knew that wasn't the case.

After accepting his request, and bombarding my aunt with questions, he came on and started chatting with me. I was a bit embarrassed that I couldn't remember just how I knew him, but he so graciously filled me in on the details and it all flooded back.

We were not Christians when we'd stop and chat on the main street sidewalk, in front of the comic book shop where he worked. We didn't know each other well, but I remember him being a pleasant person. We were living our own lives the best we knew how, longing for meaning, but unsure where to find it. I sought mine through heavy-metal music, relationships, and partying; he through whatever he could find. Eventually, I moved away and that ended our sidewalk chats.

Six years later, after I had found the Lord, I ran into him at my friend's wedding and we both discovered our mutual interest in God and our shared salvation. I don't remember too much of the conversation, but I do know that I was so impressed by the change in this friend, that I sent him some SDA books, (which he didn't read). By this time, I was married and so we didn't keep up the friendship.

Fast forward about eleven years and here we are again, both divorced, unfortunately. I have been an Adventist for the past thirteen years, he belongs to another denomination. I was struck by his enthusiasm and love for the Lord. Something I rarely see around me. His love is pure, his focus--on God. His worship--free and wholehearted. I feel a connection with him that I haven't felt with many Adventists. We are excited about God's saving grace and power to change lives and hearts.

Sometimes I think it's easy for us, as Adventists, to get distracted by focusing too much on issues within our church, that we lose the potential to wholeheartedly love and serve God and each other. This is something I am learning from my new/old friend.

God's love is big, wide and amazing and not meant to be boxed in or fenced off. I'm trying to make connections without letting my particular beliefs be a barrier.





Comments

  1. For years, I would say "I have Catholic friends, but I'd never date one". Now I want to marry one! By opening myself up a little, I have found a wonderful, Christ-centered relationship with a man who practices giving away Jesus's love more than any protestant man I ever knew! Being with him has been a huge lesson in grace. Why fight with each other? We're all on the same team! Our enemy isn't us!
    Your friendship might or might not ever be more than friendship, but think about how much you can learn and grow by sharing his enthusiasm for God!
    I say YAY! And good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely refreshing to see things in a new way. God works in mysterious ways for sure!

      Delete
  2. How cool to connect with an old friend!!

    I too find that other Christian denominations (not Adventists) tend to be more loving and enthusiastic about the Gospel. I'm not sure if it's because I meet them BECAUSE they are enthusiastic or if it's because that attitude is more prevalent in their denomination. We need to work on that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do! It's about being on fire for God and what's He's done and continues to do for us in our lives. I don't know, I just find life with God extremely meaningful and fulfilling and I want to give that away.

      Delete
  3. Having spent 21 years with a person who was my life-companion, I feel that your religious background really doesn't matter too much if at all. After she passed away as the result of a lengthy battle with leukemia, I realized that I didn't really know what she believed about god or religion. But in the end run it hadn't matter a bit as we saw eye-to-eye on how to live life. Just my two cents worth!

    Jerry - http://adadandhisboy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your two cents!! Compatibility is definitely important. As long as people can decide ahead on how to handle their differences, most things probably wouldn't be a problem.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Difference God Makes

Old Houses

Down By the River