The Assignment

As you may know, my sister moved to Florida a few months ago. Her husband has an aunt, here in town, that has cancer. She's not doing very well at all. Her husband is having a really tough time with it as well. They do not go to church or have any spiritual support system. My sister tells me that if she doesn't make it, the husband will be completely lost without her because they're inseparable. Of course, my sister and her family are very concerned for them...and also very far away.

The Assignment
A few weeks ago, she asked if I and our aunt would make casseroles, my sister providing the finances, for the woman and her family--that they could freeze and use as needed. My sister, feeling like she wanted to do something, but feeling helpless, came up with that idea so this family could hopefully see God's love through us as Christians. This week, my aunt and I are going to plan, shop, cook and deliver the food for these people. We'll share as we have an opening and have prayer with them.

I'm very thankful to be doing this with my aunt. She is very upbeat and positive and has dealt with cancer and sickness a lot. She has a huge heart and no doubt, God's love will shine through her. I'm not at all sure how I'm going to handle this, I am just glad that Julie will be there with me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Several years ago, my step-mother passed away with cancer. I had a really hard time with it. For the last couple of months of her life, I couldn't bring myself to see her. I sent spiritual cards with Bible verses about salvation and the resurrection and I wrote in every card that God loved her and that I was always, always praying for her--she wasn't a believer, but had become open to God when she became sick. I spoke with her over the phone, as well. I've never prayed for someone as much as I prayed for her. It was devastating to me, emotionally, to see this vibrant woman fade away and to watch my dad care for her.

The last several times I saw her, she would look up and say--you're dad is the kindest man I have ever known. She was very strong and didn't cry, but there was a sadness in her eyes. For the last couple months of her life, I stayed at a distance. I just couldn't handle seeing her like that and knew that I would break down. After she passed away, my Dad told me she had requested to speak with a minister and spent a good couple of hours with him. I am looking forward to seeing her again someday.


My step-mother Lynn and I 
My dad and Lynn

I know the pain and devastation this family is going through. So does my aunt, as she has lost several family members, even providing care for them through serious illness. She is accustomed to this. I am not. They are not close to me, but just knowing what they're going through is hard to deal with. I just pray their hearts will be touched when they see that we care, but more importantly--that God cares.

Please pray for this family as they are going through this very difficult time.
Thank you for reading :)

UPDATE: The one thing I wanted to happen, did. I wanted the family to see that God cares about them. When we took the food in, we met the mother of the sick woman, who was sleeping in another room. She was very thankful we came. We stayed a few minutes, offering whatever encouragement we could. As we were leaving, the mother introduced us to her husband and I shook his hand. He was really fighting the tears, and he held onto my hand tightly, quietly saying thank you. I knew he felt God's care in that moment. The husband and daughter were there, as well, just trying to hold it together. Please keep them all in prayer.

...and weep with those who weep. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Difference God Makes

Old Houses

Down By the River