Old Houses

I love old houses. I feel really sad to see them like this. To me this house is still beautiful, still majestic. I imagine all the rooms. All the detailed woodwork and moulding inside, the stairway, the high ceilings and old fixtures that are still intact. Like doorknobs, locks and hinges. Probably some of the original glass is still in the windows. At one point someone must have really loved this house.


 This is a storybook house. It reminds me of the "The Secret Garden." It's tucked away and hidden. I can imagine myself wandering through the woods and stumbling upon it. Then bringing paint and other things to fix it up. I read a book once when I was a kid about a girl who found a house and did that, but I can't remember the name.



When I see a house like this, it makes me think of the little farm family that once lived here. If I try hard enough I can still see kids running through the yard laughing and mama hanging clothes on the line. Simpler times, simple joys, peacefulness and contentment. Things are so different now. I just want a bit of this.



Comments

  1. I like old houses too. Red Bluff has a lot of nice Victorian ones. There is one I would really like to see the inside. I think it's on the north west side of Union and Washington streets. It's a shame they let the one in the top picture get so run down. Bet it would look beautiful restored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Red Bluff does have a lot of really nice old houses! Julie and I went walking up there a few years back and took pictures of some of them. Oh I know! I always wish I could just walk up and ask if I can go in and look at them...but I don't. Love the Victorian museums. I'm a sucker for old stuff. I'll have to check out "your" house. I get really sad when I see old houses like these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a lot of pictures of Victorian homes from different cities. Ferndale is a great place for Victorian houses. San Jose was another one. Guess I would have to look up my pictures to see what other cities I took them in. I also like ghost towns where at one time they were thriving and now lost people because the gold ran dry. Bodie was a really neat ghost town. Randy(son) and I went on a ghost town trip years ago along HWY 49. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh someone like me!! When I got my first digital camera, I went around to old wooden churches(in the area) and took pictures. Think I lost them, though. At one time I really wanted to go to Ferndale, but never made it. :( Have you ever been to Elmshaven in St. Helena, Ellen White's house? I was there but only outside since they were closed. That will be really cool, when I make it there. I wish I could go "ghost towning." You make me want to go somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the book you refer to is Mandy by Julie Andrews. I'll never forget it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just now seeing this after so many years and I just googled it amd found out..then came and saw this. Wow.

      Delete
  6. I have a thing for old houses too, I always want to get in and see what's inside. There are a couple of abandoned houses in my block that I've always dreamt to visit... never got the guts to do it.
    ps. sorry for the unusual question. I'm trying to understand how the external house plan of the first house is. it seems L shaped at first sight, but there seems to be more behind the lateral gable.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Difference God Makes

Down By the River