God's Lavish Love

God came to my class today.

We did our usual things. We prayed, we sang, we read the Bible and talked about it. The point of the lesson was God's lavish love. He pours His love on us when we least deserve it. 

Yes, it was enough that He created us. That shows He loves us. He loves us so much, in fact, that He gave His Son to redeem us--to buy us back. That shows us how much He loves us--how far He would go to get us back. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8 We don't deserve that. 

But if all that wasn't enough--He involves Himself, personally, with us. He is willing to guide, to protect, to love, to listen. 

And here is where it gets very interesting to me. Down here on my level. In my little life. Here I am with ALL my faults, ALL my imperfections, ALL my fears and ALL my sins. And I mess up and I mess up and I MESS UP! So does He cut me off? Does He say,"Forget you!! I've had enough of you!!" Does he leave? Does He forsake? Does He give up?

When I cannot even lift my head because of the shame or the guilt or the despair I feel--when my whole world just crumbles around me and there is nothing good left--because by my own choices I have squandered it--does He give me what I deserve? Does He kick the dirt in my face and say, "You're just not worth it" and turn and walk away?

No. This is the most amazing thing I've ever learned about God.

He doesn't give me what I deserve--He gives me a hug and says,"No matter what, I will ALWAYS be here for you. I will NEVER let you go." And wipes away the tears.

This is grace--God's lavish love.

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. John 13:34




But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him. Luke 15:20

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old Houses

The Difference God Makes

Down By the River