The Gift of Friendship


There is one gift the Lord gives which is sweeter than most anything. True Christian friendship. It's the kind your heart longs for if you do not possess it and rejoices in, when you do. It's the meeting of heart and mind and soul together with others to worship God. I am so privileged, at this time, to have this wonderful, close, bond with the women in my Bible study group.  Jesus says...Where two or three are gathered in My name, there I am in the midst of them. Matthew 18:20


I've not always had this type of intimacy. I remember years of feeling lonely in church, of feeling isolated. There were friends, acquaintances and people you greeted every week, but for me, it wasn't enough. I longed for more. I decided to put together a small group to meet in a home where we could really focus on God. It truly turned out to be a blessing. We were drawn closer to God and each other. It was a great source of strength and joy. When the group had to end, it left a void in my life. Recently, I've started a new group, which God is blessing abundantly.


There's a saying that goes..."Jesus is all I need." I understand the thought behind the saying, but it can tend to give the impression that it's somehow wrong or less spiritual to need others. There have been many, many times in my Christian walk where I would say to God, guiltily, " Lord, You know how much I love You, but it's just not enough. I need people." If you are trapped in a cell or cave or for some reason, alone, Jesus truly is all you really need. He can make up for the lack. And in another sense, He can provide everything you need, including spiritual friends. When I am connected with others in a deeply spiritual way, I am happier and more fulfilled. Not to mention, I have so much more to give away. God wants us to relate on a deeper level.

If you don't have this in your life, pray for it. This kind of fellowship is like running through a sprinkler on a hot, summer day... refreshing.






I will cause my people and their homes around my holy hill to be a blessing. And I will send showers, showers of blessings, which will come just when they are needed. Ezekiel 34:26

Comments

  1. JoHanna, this is really great. Love the pictures.

    You know I feel this way also. I know Jesus loves me and I love Him and He is always with me. But sometimes you need a spiritual friend in a body, especially who feels like you do that you can talk to. Actually I'm glad I am not alone in this kind of thought.

    When I feel closest to my Lord is when I am in nature and I know so well that He is there and at that time is the easiest time for me to talk to Him. As you can tell most of my scripture pictures are of nature. I think it was this last Friday is when I took the picture of this rainbow. It was a complete rainbow and I haven't seen one of those in a very long time. It was so beautiful, picture doesn't do justice what so ever to the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Jesus truly is a wonderful Friend, for sure. He had the same needs as we do. I think a lot of people probably feel this way, not just us. I'm very thankful to all the people he's put in my life.

    You're lucky to have captured that rainbow!! Your pictures are all so nice. Once I had a rainbow that was practically right in my yard and the sky was pink! It was so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Difference God Makes

Old Houses

Down By the River