Epiphany!


On New Year's Eve morning I was volunteering at my church's community services, when an acquaintance I knew from several years back, decided to share with us his one resolution for the New Year. He said it was something "Oprah's friend" had said. It was that 'people should believe people when they FIRST tell them who they are.' I thought that was profound. How many years did I spend in denial? How many years did I spend trying to change someone who simply was who he was? He was not someone I needed to have in my life, but I kept clinging to the hope that MY dream could somehow be salvaged. I wanted to be married and have a happy family. I didn't want to be a divorced, single mother. So for a long time, I chose to overlook things I shouldn't have. I chose to think that there was a chance that things could get better, all the while knowing deep down inside-that they wouldn't. I chose to spend my energies trying to force someone to fit into MY dream. 

So when I heard this guy say that-it hit me hard. Believe people when they first tell you who they are. Don't wish and wait, hoping they will change while you dwindle your life away, holding onto an illusion. I'm really good at that. So for me, this is huge. 

BELIEVE PEOPLE WHEN THEY FIRST TELL YOU WHO THEY ARE.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Difference God Makes

Old Houses

Down By the River