Help!!

I woke up today, still regretting yesterday, thinking that I need to make a change. I have a question- how do you bless someone that persecutes you?


Lately I have been in random arguments. No, I wasn't looking for them. But somehow they had no problem finding me. Okay so I have my typical family squabbles from time to time, I'll admit. And that's bad enough, but a couple of these were people I don't even know! Most people would agree that I was in the right and just by trying to communicate my innocence or my side, I was drawn into a fight. How easy it was to lose my temper.


 This happened a few times recently. And now I'm sitting here going, "Okay, this isn't going to work. I don't want to be fighting with people." So the next time someone starts in on me, I may just have to simply walk away in order to keep my mouth shut. When I'm on guard and aware enough, then maybe I'll attempt to settle things with people.


The main reason it bothers me is because I don't think I'm being a very good representative for God. I want to live out His word in my life. "Bless those who persecute you". "Turn the other cheek." I think God has allowed this to so strongly surface so I can realize I have a problem and work on changing it. This seems extremely difficult for me. I'm just not one to keep quiet. I'm a fighter by nature and sometimes you have to fight, especially when it involves the welfare of others. But just to defend yourself against silly accusations and losing your temper over it just isn't worth it.


So I woke up today thinking a lot about how to keep this from happening again. Boy do I ever need God's help with this one. 


One thought that kept going through my mind was- what do you want people to remember you for? I certainly don't want to be remembered for fighting with someone!


Today I had to go to the grocery store. There was a lady there with a crying baby so I offered to bag her groceries for her. She was very appreciative. I told her I knew how it was since I had five kids. I'm sure that in her mind, I left a good impression. And it was a decision I made to show God's love to someone. That's who I want to be. So how do you apply this desire onto a less than desirable situation? How do you bless those who persecute you? I absolutely love God's upside-down world, but I need to figure out just how to put it into practice.


Could it be possible that by blessing your persecutor you are showing a much fuller picture of God's love? I think so, but I don't have a lot of experience with it... yet.


When Jesus was beaten, when He was hanging on the cross dying, He said nothing. Who would've had more of a right to defend himself than Jesus? But He didn't say a word. What an example.


 Maybe you have some practical or not so practical advice on how to do this thing... if so please share it. 


Bless those that persecute you; bless and do not curse. Romans 12:14







UPDATE: After posting this I kept coming across helpful Bible verses. My ladies Bible study topic was on emotions, of all things! I even read, "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and say all kinds of evil against you because of me." Matt. 5:11. I realize they aren't starting trouble with me because I'm a Christian, but this speaks to me because I want to respond in a Christian way. Also in our study all the good things from Ephesians 4:31-32.  I looked back into the devotional Bible reading that I had read earlier that morning and noticed what it said-


The LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever; he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him; for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust. Psalm 103:8-14


Ahhh... God is good!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old Houses

The Difference God Makes

Down By the River