Absolutely Unique

This morning as I was thinking about waking my kids up, I thought about just how unique they are. What got me thinking along those lines was my daughter, Savannah. She gets to sleep in a little longer than the other two. Regular High School just didn't fit her very well and so now, as I've mentioned before, she is in a charter school that is an independent study program where she attends a few classes a week at the campus. And this is working out really well so far.

Savannah is on the quieter side (most of the time). She is somewhat an introvert and has always been a homebody type, content with reading a good book. She is also artistic. She was my sweetest child when she was small. She has always been very studious and organized in her schoolwork. That is why this type of school arrangement can work for her.

I have five kids and they all are so different.
My oldest daughter, Jenessa was always so driven in school. She's not afraid to do anything, it seems. She's on her own now - married with two little ones(a great mommy) and still going to school for nursing. She's witty and has a dry sense of humor. We hang out now and have lots of fun together.
My son, Schuyler, also on his own and attending college, is a creative type. Good at any form of art, it seems. Likes to play music. Good with the computer. He has always been a clown and a lot of fun, so attracted lots of friends. This kid makes me laugh and I miss him :(
My third daughter, Sophie, is pretty athletic. She loves basketball. She is also very giddy and has an obnoxious laugh that is her trademark. She is very strong-willed and that has a tendency to get her in trouble here at home. She is full of energy and spunk.
My youngest, Mandie, is the kid that is totally into nature. She loves lizards and snakes and frogs...anything she can catch. She loves to fish with her Dad and catch butterflies. She wants to be outside most of the time. One of her new favorite things is bringing in the eggs the chickens are laying. She has never liked dolls or princesses, but I wouldn't say she's a tomboy, though. I call her my nature girl.

It surprises me just how different they all are. I love each one for who they are.

Before becoming a Christian, I used to think that church was for the "good people". I knew I could never fit into such a place. I didn't fit the mold. I was not "holy"- I was not deserving. I wasn't like them. I was about as far away as one could get. And if I heard of a Christian acting anything but "holy"...well watch out! To me that spelled: h-y-p-o-c-r-i-t-e. Simple as that.

I have a different view now. An insider's view.

After going to church for awhile, I realized that just because someone is a Christian, it doesn't mean they are perfect. We mess up, too. We still have problems. Some of my most trying times have been as a Christian.

There is also plenty of room for individuality. God doesn't want cookie-cutter Christians.

The thing that struck me as so amazing, was the intimacy you can potentially have with God. He knows me completely. Understands me better than I understand myself by far. He offers so much help, guidance, strength, joy, peace, comfort during pain, meaning, excitement, friendship, love. Prayer is a two-way conversation between myself and Him. That's huge to me. When I am struggling, I talk to Him. He always knows just the right thing to say or do to make me feel better or help me accept the situation. I have found much comfort in Jesus. Much love. Much acceptance and hope. In His word are many promises, which help me to understand His love for me and can help you. When I first came to God, this one was my favorite:

Isaiah 58:9 - Then you will call, and the LORD will answer;  you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.

God appreciates our uniqueness and loves us as if we were the only one. If we're not in a relationship with Him, He misses us.


Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.
Margaret Mead :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Difference God Makes

Old Houses

Down By the River