This Thing Called Life

A few nights ago, I watched "Coal Miner's Daughter"- the Loretta Lynn story - with my family. I grew up watching that movie and listening to her music. So for me, it was a real treat to share it with my daughters. To see their reaction to her getting married at 13, to see her life unfold with her making her dream of becoming a country singer, come true, though that same dream, later would take it's toll on her.

One thing I appreciated about the story, this time, was the fact that though there were many problems in Loretta's marriage, the love came through and triumphed. When Loretta collapsed onstage and Doo carried her off - you knew theirs was a love that was deep, comfortable, real and lasting. It had survived many tests and still made it. 

Loretta Lynn's childhood spoke to me of the simple things in life. A hardworking and loving father providing for his family and keeping food on the table. A mother tending to her children, showing her love by being there and caring for them. Her life, her joy, wrapped up in them. Their home didn't contain fancy things, but was full to the brim with love. 

We only have one chance to do this thing called life. What I am attempting to do, is sort through it all and find the things that are truly important and put them in place in my own life, if possible. I've made many mistakes, and have learned a few lessons, mostly the hard way. So I am going to list some of the things that I have learned along the way.

I have learned to be more patient with my kids. To listen more to their heart - to speak more to their heart. To criticize less. Comfort more. 

I have learned that life isn't ever going to be perfect and neither are people. Acceptance is probably the best gift I can give my loved ones.

I have learned that life is fragile and extremely precious. A beautiful gift. I need to cherish every moment of every day and live with gratitude.

I have learned that childhood is fleeting and before you know it, the kids grow up and are gone. So today, I need to make my kids a priority and not allow myself to become so busy that we don't spend time together. Or so stressed that they get a crabby mom.

I am finally starting to learn that my own attitude controls much of the behavior of those that live with me. And that..."love covers a multitude of sins." We all mess up and forgiveness is always the best solution. 

I also want to live more simply - be happy with less. As of now we live in a really small house that that is less expensive. That means less stress for my husband, since we are a one-income family. I make a little extra by babysitting my grand-kids. I feel the trade is worth it. I am able to stay home with my kids and volunteer at my church a lot. I teach the junior/youth class and have children's and youth ministries. Our church is small, so what I do isn't on a large scale, but it's fulfilling. One of my favorite things that I do is lead out in a small group, for women, at my home. I really love providing the opportunity to come together and learn about the Lord and bond with each other.

When I think of things I want to do in my life, I think of what I am already doing. I hope to keep simplifying - keep trying to be more organized, to make my house more comfortable and free up time and energy. To give more and want less. I also hope to be more outgoing to people and pray with them easily. To truly minister to their need whatever it may be. To listen quickly to God's leading and not doubt and not fear.

I hope today, that you hold close the ones you love.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Difference God Makes

Old Houses

Down By the River