Living the Promises-- James 1:5 and Mathew 6:33

While searching for direction; for guidance, I often claim the promise in James 1:5, which says--

 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.

I actually believe God provides guidance when we are willing to align our lives with His will. In the past, I have made terrible choices, without praying; without seeking the Lord's wisdom. Mostly because I wasn't a Christian and didn't realize my need or opportunity. A lot of suffering has resulted from the thoughtless decisions I've made. And even in spite of them, a lot of blessings have also come my way.

But the pain from those decisions has certainly caused me to become pretty gun shy. Not able to trust my own ability when it comes to making major life decisions.

So I ask God for help a lot. He sees the bigger picture and has my best interests at heart. I honestly do want to follow His plan for my life.

Since praying for God's wisdom that He has promised to give, I have noticed things really beginning to happen. A lot of times He will somehow bring answers to my questions when I pray James 1:5.

God also promises to take care of us. He doesn't want us to spend our time and energy worrying about where all of our needs are going to come from, but simply wants us to trust Him.

 28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Matthew 6:28-34

Over this past year, especially, I decided to try to live this way, claiming the promise in verse 33.
  33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

For me, it worked like this. I knew I needed to be out of the bad relaionship that I was in, but I didn't know how I would be able to pull it off. The kids always need something, the bills have to be paid, we need to make the rent, eat and all of those things and so thinking about it, worrying about it, can really be overwhelming.

What I decided to do was to really focus on God and my relationship with Him and give Him my worries and burdens to carry. It wasn't easy and I wasn't all that successful with it, but it was my aim. I had lots of family issues going on that I really was not able to fix. And they drained me a lot. I could so easily become totally consumed by them.

I prayed about what God wanted me to do instead, knowing if I focused on the spiritual needs of those around me, including my kids, He'd focus on helping me out of my situaion. In a small church like mine, there are plenty of opportunities to get involved. I have been teaching kids for many years, so I was continuing with that. I began doing bible studies with some of them and another person. There was no one else to do these things, and I knew it was God's plan, so I did it. I looked for the opportunities and needs that I could fulfill, that fit in with my abilities and/or gifts. I also began a woman's small group Bible study in my home. I needed the support and encouragement and so did a few others. I knew that this was fulfilling a need that would have otherwise not been met. Some of the ladies were super shy, some lonely, some new. We all needed this group. God kept bringing me new things to do and showing me the needs of others. I was asked to do the prayer-meeting--again there was no one else. I was asked by a teenage boy to start a youth-group and this was my area in the church and very needed, again there was no one else. I kept going...more, God? How am I supposed to do all this? But with each thing, He enabled me and brought much-needed joy into my life through these things I was invloved in. They are all on a pretty small scale. I knew He was teaching me to lose myself for others.

I have taught kids for years, I've had small groups before, I've been involved in various ways, but I have never felt so extremely blessed as I have since purposefully setting out to live Matthew 6:33..
33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Because of  all the negative going on, these other things provided another focus for my life and brought a lot of purpose and meaning as well as happiness, thus counteracting all the bad I was dealing with. I was able to make a difference for someone else, somehow helping improve their lives, which in turn, improved mine. 

And I prayed for resolution to my problems...and God did it. I am still living Matthew 6:33. Right now is where the rubber's hitting the road. Every day is a walk of faith. Every day, our needs are being met. From the emotional needs of being loved and supported--to the more physical needs, God has kept His part of the deal.

There have been days where I just say, "I'm sorry God, I don't have anything to give today to this thing You've called me to do. Please provide what I need." Whether it's a passage of scripture, a story or an activity, even the ability to lay all my stuff aside in order to have an upbeat attitude, He has very obviously done just that. Which has encouraged me so much. I am not doing these things in my own strength. Because, at times, I have no strength left.

I have learned so much about the love of God, His faithfulness and just how much He helps us. He leaves me utterly in awe and head over heels in love with Him.

This has been an amazing experiment with God. And we're not done yet. Find a promise or theme in God's word that you need in your life and believe it, claim it, live it. Just see what happens.


  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Difference God Makes

Old Houses

Down By the River