Reserved for the Cherished

Today, I think of my sister as they are driving across the country, carrying all their earthly belongings with them.  I can't imagine the amount of work that it took them to get rid of ALL their stuff! They had a lot! Lots of old cars, too. But here they are now, driving with everything they own, tucked neatly away in the bed of the truck or the motorhome. My sister was so happy when all her most important things fit perfectly in the compartments and cabinets in the motorhome. I think of her family photos, stowed away in a box. I think of her other mementos and sentimental things, riding along to be carefully unpacked in a new life. These things are not there by accident, but were chosen, taking up privileged space that was reserved for the cherished.

cher·ish (chrsh)
tr.v. cher·ished, cher·ish·ing, cher·ish·es
1. To treat with affection and tenderness; hold dear
2. To keep fondly in mind

I think of this word--cherish. How beautiful are the things we cherish. I think of some of the things I cherish: family photos, my step-mother's childhood Bible that had been passed down from her great-grandmother; given to me when she passed away, my kids' baby stuff, some hand-made Christmas ornaments and artwork my kids have made over the years, small insignificant things, but full of value to me.

I think of the people I cherish. All my friends and family that I have been so privileged to share this life with. Sometimes it's so easy to get caught up in this world, that we can tend to take them for granted at times. I am learning, though, that having others in my life is truly a gift. I think of my son, so fun, so creative and full of life, so dearly missed when it came time for him to move out into his own life and I rarely see him now. And I think of my sister and her family and the awful void I feel now that they're on their way to the opposite side of the country. I think of the people that have passed away that once held a special place in my life, but now only hold a special place in my heart.  

I think of Jesus. Of the way He cherished us so much that He would rather die than live without us. I think of the way He cherishes us everyday. He is so patient and understanding, He never gives up on us, never lets go, never leaves, never forsakes, always listens, always loves, always gives, always provides.

And I pray to always cherish the One who cherished me first. To give Him privileged space in my life; to give Him honor and praise for not only what He has done and is doing in my life, but for who He is.

And so what do you cherish? Who do you cherish?


Comments

  1. That was such a beautiful post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a thing to do, in packing 'all the best stuff' into the motor home and driving off. Are they keeping it light because they are going to a smaller place, or are they staying in the motor home to live?
    It is good to have a ministry mindset though. I am continuously decluttering.
    And yes, it is good to stop and cherish. For sure, that it takes wing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe one of the main reasons they didn't take most of what they owned was simply the cost of the moving truck. Instead, they decided to buy a used truck to keep and just slim down. But my sister said it was very freeing. I know what she means--that's the same way I feel when I go camping--free. And then I go back home and try to figure what to get rid of :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a very nice weekend Johanna and thank you for your visit to Amish Stories. Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you, Richard. I enjoy your blog. Love reading about the Amish :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Difference God Makes

Old Houses

Down By the River