A Letter from David

I received a letter from an inmate named David. We had only written to each other a couple of times...before I sort of flaked. I think I probably did write the last letter, about a year ago or so.

A few months back, when I decided to write to all the inmates asking whether they wanted to start writing again, I sent a letter to David. And about a month later the letter was returned to me. I figured he must have been moved to another prison.

So as you can imagine I was quite surprised to see that letter come in the mail a couple of weeks ago. And for a moment  (a senior moment!), I thought he was answering the letter I had sent him, and then I remembered that he never received it. So I was really happy to hear from him.

He explained he had been busy trying to get things together for when he gets out in 18 months. But truth be told, I should have been making an effort to write to him and wasn't. I told him he had great timing and about the returned letter.

Some have real misgivings about females writing males, I used to. At first I requested females, but soon realized the program I write through is not run that way. Basically there's two piles of letters--writers and inmates. They take the two off the top of the piles and match them together.They also tell you to run this by your spouse to recieve their blessing in writing. I found another ministry that explained that it's mostly male prisoners that are requesting to be written to and it's mostly women that are willing to write inmates through these ministries. The majority of prisoners are also male so this all explains why I've never written a female.

There are lots of warnings to heed and guidelines to follow given by the ministry. And it's certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but I believe they equip you well. You have to be careful not to tell about your personal life, but to keep the topics on everyday things, encourage them in the Lord and just build a friendship. I've never really had any problems. I think once a long time ago, during the first time I tried this, one guy was coming onto me a little and I just quit. What I should have done was send his name back to get rematched. Too late now :)

So back to David. I sent a letter to him today, which included a story from my blog. Ended the letter with a p.s. saying...let's not let another year go by before we write again.

My purpose for writing is to just bring a little sunshine into a dark place. I also pray for these men.

Three years ago, I felt like God was impressing me to take part in this ministry again. There was one quote that really let me know for a fact, that this was something God had been wanting me to do for awhile.

Your duty cannot be shifted upon another. No one but yourself can do your work. If you withhold your light, someone must be left in darkness through your neglect.-- Testimonies, vol. 5, p. 464. Ellen White

The ministry needs writers pretty desperately. They are growig fast and have lots of requests from prisoners. I have five I am attempting to write, but wish I could take more. If you are feeling a little tug at your heart, if you think God is impressing you to write, here's a link--Someone Cares

Comments

  1. That EGW quote is incredibly sobering. Must ponder it more...

    I'm glad you are finding a calling, a ministry. *hugs*

    Hope all is well with you today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes that quote is definitely sobering. It sometimes comes to mind when I flake or I'll see it somewhere. It always gets me everytime.

      How is life in Seattle?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Difference God Makes

Old Houses

Down By the River