Lessons From Grandma's Kitchen

                                  
I collect old kitchen utensils and spice cans and I finally have decided that they've sat in the trunk too long. I pulled them out and put them on a shelf. My aunt came by and said, "You want to have your grandmother's kitchen." And I said,"Yes!" And started thinking... 

About my grandmas and how I don't remember what they had in their kitchens so much, but I have a few very cherished memories of them that have been packed away far too long. So I thought I'd bring them out and share them with you.

                                          


We'll start with Clara, my great-grandmother. She lived in a tiny, little house with my great-grandfather in an alley called Willow Way. They had a white-picket fence and the yard was full of cactuses. Their carport was covered with Trumpet Creeper, what I like to think of as - hummingbird flowers. Walking through their small yard was a joy for me, as long as I stayed on the path!

The thing I remember most about Clara's kitchen was the ever-present pan of popcorn that always sat on the little stove. It was the kind with the handle you'd turn on top to move the kernels around. Whenever we stopped by to visit, she'd give us a bowl. Do you know the taste of popcorn after it sits for awhile? Well it always tasted like that. And we loved it.



                                   
My Grandma Ruby or "Granny" was a short, plump, grandma who always wore her long graying black hair, pulled back into a bun with combs on either side. I spent many weekends with Granny because I'd visit my dad every other weekend and he lived with her for several years. A lot of the family called her "Granny Goose" or simply "Goose". Her kitchen always smelled like coffee blending with the smell of the fire burning in the fireplace. There were always pecans (thanks to the tree in the front yard) and oranges in bags.






                         I remember Granny walking through the house, strumming away on her old guitar, singing old gospel/bluegrass songs. I was a singing child, constantly making up my own nonsense songs, especially while I was trying to go to sleep. I'm pretty sure she must have inspired me!

Anyway, back to her kitchen. So this was where I got the yummy cereal! Corn Pops and Fruit Loops! She would fix me "weinies" on white bread with ketchup for lunch. I remember family dinners with ham all dressed up with pineapple and cherries. Looked so nasty to me (I didn't eat it!). She loved to bring home buckets of Kentucky Fried Chicken often. My favorite thing about Granny's kitchen was this really delicious chocolate fudge cake, with nuts on top, that she'd always bake from scratch. I can still taste it!



Now we'll talk about my Grandma Evelyn's kitchen. She is my maternal grand-mother. We'd stop and visit often. I don't think I spent much time in her kitchen, but the one memory of it that stands out is the sound and smell of potatoes, thinly sliced, frying on the stove, sprinkled with pepper. Another thing she liked to make were corn fritters. Mmm.

 I remember her laughing a lot as the relatives gathered to visit. Seemed when the family congregated there, there'd be much sharing of stories and some were repeated often according to the alcohol levels of some of the visitors. They'd talk about religion and where they'd like to someday move to. She had a funny thing she'd do once in awhile, mostly to the ones that lived with her. She'd hide a tape recorder and secretly record their silliness. Thinking of her home reminds me of a time that seems to have gone by the wayside now, family just going and visiting family. I miss those days.
                                               Secret recordings!




Yahtzee!!!
Now we'll visit Fay's kitchen. She is my step-grandmother. Out of all the grandmas, I think I spent the most time at her house. She and Grandpa lived in a grey house with hardwood floors. There was always music and laughter and good times there. And Cheese Puffs! The grown-ups - Fay, mom and her sister, would play games a lot, mostly Yahtzee! I remember them getting a little tipsy and dancing to Conway Twitty and Loretta Lynn records that Fay would play. Doing the country-swing and the bump and trying to teach us kids!

We ate lots of spaghetti and french bread at their house and to this day, when I smell onions and bell peppers frying, it takes me back to Fay's house. Mmm...it was so good!

She had the neatest glasses, too. I think my favorite was a glass shaped like a boot! Sometimes she'd give us kids a dollar to do the dishes and we'd hurry to the nearest store (Mug's Liquor!) and buy candy. The candy bars were only 25 cents, so we made out pretty good. Sometimes she'd send us to get more Cheese Puffs or pretzels. Grandpa always made sure we had plenty of quarters by pulling them out of our ears! He amazed us every time! I spent many happy days at Fay and Grandpa's house, running around outside, watching the grown-ups act silly, coloring and eating really good food. Also spent many Thanksgivings over there, with an olive for each finger :)



                                         

                                                 This one really reminds me of Fay!


Lessons From Grandma's Kitchen


Stay on the path!


Chocolate is good! Ham is...NOT!


Stories are best the first time around ;)


Be careful what you say or do - you never know what may end up on Youtube or Facebook!!


Warning!! Alcohol mixed with Conway Twitty = disaster!!


These boots were NOT made for walking, they were made for drinking (water)!


Money doesn't grow on trees - it comes out of your ear!!


Fun doesn't have an age limit!


As I transform my kitchen into "my grandmother's kitchen" with old things and coziness, I want to make sure I don't forget to add some of the things from their kitchens, such as laughter, joy and love. Oh and an occasional chocolate cake.


**Just so you know, I don't drink alcohol or dance to Conway Twitty!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Difference God Makes

Old Houses

Down By the River