Prison Letters

In a fairly recent post, And My Heart Melts..., I wrote of my involvement with a Christian prison letter-writing ministry. Click here-Someone Cares- to find out how you can write and encourage people. The program is safe as you and they use the ministry's address and you can use a pen-name. I certainly know that this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it is an easy way to make a difference in someone's life, so I think it's worth my sharing the info just in case you may have an interest.

I sent out 5 "fishing" letters to see if any of my abandoned prisoners still wanted to write. Jack, from deathrow, which I had tried to get rematched well over a year ago (they never rematched him, but sent his info back to me, with a note that they needed me), Bobby, and Bucky all wrote back saying that yes, they wanted to write again, Bobby wondering why I stopped writing. One letter came back, undelivered. And the one I had hoped for, Josiah, didn't come. I didn't stop writing Josiah until about 6 months ago. The others it had probably been close to a year...this is not a good way to participate in the program!

Josiah and I had a pretty consistent writing relationship. With the others, I meant to send their names back and only keep writing Josiah, but I didn't send them back. Then I was going to quit altogether, but the thought of telling Josiah, really just got me. I remembered what he had told me, in the early days, about people not sticking around. I think I just wondered if I should be doing this anymore and was finding it hard to find the time to write. I think maybe I didn't know what my letters meant to them. And I probably still don't, never having been in prison myself. Or the possible negative opinions of others, weighing on me. People thinking you're a sucker or you are looking for a boyfriend or that it's inappropriate for females to write males, or that you are somehow bad for not condemning them...don't you care about the victims? I've not had people express all of these things to me, I have avoided letting many know, out of fear that they may say these things. Or think them.

It's true, I have never been behind bars, but I have been lonely. I have felt forgotten and uncared for. I have felt trapped and powerless and full of regret. It's true, I have never committed a crime worthy of a prison sentence, but I am a guilty sinner. That's where me and my prisoners are equal. And if we confess and repent, we're equally forgiven, as well. It's all the same in God's eyes. That doesn't mean we shouldn't suffer the consequences of our actions. But we can learn and grow. Sometimes growing comes through love. I don't mean romantic love, but showing God's unconditional love.

And so that is why I write. I also have people that do understand my burden for them. I know God has a lot to say on the subject of prisoners. I know that His heart goes out to them and that He wants me to demonstrate His love to them. So I just go there to be a friend. To say encouraging things.

So I received 3 letters...

But no Josiah. I began thinking that he didn't want to write because I had let him down, just like everyone else. I would pray and check the mail, hoping to see the familiar Someone Cares envelope. But no letter. I started thinking- well I'll send a card and keep trying. When I was ready to do that, I found his letter in the mailbox!

And this one thing stood out that he said,"...I don't have any friends. I was 17 when I came here and I didn't have time to start any relationships." Yes, he wanted to keep writing.

Truly, I value the opportunity God has given me, to be a friend to one young man that will spend his life behind bars. Even if all I can do is bring a smile to his face or remind him he's not alone, but that God is there with him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Difference God Makes

Old Houses

Down By the River