Amish Reject




For a long time I have had a fascination with the Amish. They are a simple and deeply religious people that have captured my affections. Though I no longer view them through the rose-colored lenses I once did, I still love their simple ways. Besides the differences in our beliefs - I am going to enlighten you as to why I wouldn't "get in".

  1. I cannot unplug! I love the internet...and well almost all technology around. Microwaves...phones...dvd players, etc. What on earth would I do without them?! And I like to drive...a car. Oh yes - I also appreciate hospitals...a lot!
  2. I wouldn't be submissive enough...to my husband or to the church. While I respect the Bible's take on submission (I do)...so many get it wrong, thinking women must be subservient. While some may be exclusively called to minister to their families, God often gifts and uses women for more than that. One's sex doesn't determine their ministry - their gifts do. I'm not saying that the family isn't important, it should be our first priority next to our relationship with God, but I don't see God limiting all women to only that. 
  3. I'm entirely too loud and like to have too much fun! I don't see my personality fitting in at all. I wouldn't be able to shut off my weirdness, which I am proud of. That would almost be the same as me fitting into a convent - ridiculous! Don't get me wrong - I have a huge appreciation for reverent and holy people. I have those times of quiet reflection and many moments of worshipful solitude, but to constantly be so well behaved and mild - not me! Sometimes I just am overflowing with exultant praise to God! And I could be wrong...maybe they're not always so quiet either. That's just my impression of them.
  4. I wouldn't pass the dress standards, although I can relate to them to a certain extent. I am the most comfortable in solid, dark colors like black, and brown and I don't wear jewelry. I am pretty plain, but sometimes I like to be a bit fancier. As much as I appreciate their simple beauty and their wonderful example of modesty...I just couldn't be that plain. The sameness wouldn't go over with me. Honestly, when I look at Amish women and girls, I do see a lovely simplicity that is extremely beautiful and rare. Almost the same natural beauty that I see in a sea shell or white flower.

Life would seem to be easier, though, if every rule and every detail were laid out before us and we just had to accept them. I'm not dismissing the Bible guidelines on how to live, but at times wonder - how modest is modest enough? How good is good enough? How do you be in the world, but not of it?

I know God accepts us just as we are and loves us so much despite all our flaws and weaknesses, but He is in the people-growing business and I long to be more like Him. Thankfully, He doesn't expect cookie-cutter Christians, but allows variety.

Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord 2 Corinthians 3:17-18

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Difference God Makes

Old Houses

Down By the River