The Old Picnic Table

I am soo sentimental about things! I save old letters and cards and little mementos. I even have a hard time...well actually...I don't delete emails from friends. I have a friend that I email back and forth a lot. This friend deletes my emails (I'm so offended!!!!!). I save his, thinking...what if something were to happen to this person, I'd want to go back and  read them. Is that weird? Oh well. I am as sentimental as they come. I saved a lot of my kids' baby stuff and things I wrote when I was a kid. I have some of my grandmother's things and even my pink Barbie dress. I'm sure the list could go on and on and on...

Okay, so we have an old picnic table out in our yard. It no longer can be moved--it's so rickety. It will literally fall to pieces if we try to move it. I mentioned getting rid of it and my youngest daughter Amanda, was like no mom, we have so many memories with that table. All the birthday parties and bar-b-ques. She said it more than once. At least most of my sentimental stuff fits into boxes! Good, now I feel better!! I haven't told her this, but if we should ever move, the table is NOT going!

Comments

  1. Oh how I can relate!

    I just replied to your comment about my Flood! and I said that this has been a real lesson about how stuff is just stuff. Memories are in people, not things. You can take a photo of the table and look at it to stir the memories that are inside of you and your kids when the table is no more.

    Our stuff is important, but sometimes it gets to the point where our stuff owns US. There is a real cost (monetary and mental) to keep it all. Letting go is hard... but it is also freeing. You've been doing a lot of letting go lately. You should be free as a bird pretty soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photo idea!!Oh and being as free as a bird IS what I want! I used to quote that Bible verse...Oh that I had wings like a dove, I'd fly away and be at rest. Learning to fly can be a little scary sometimes, though!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Difference God Makes

Old Houses

Down By the River