Memory Lane +

Easter Plans
Busy morning planned. Lots of eggs to boil and color and plastic ones to fill with candy and money. And of course, we will have to clean the house!!! And make food. On Saturday nights I like to stay up late...so I'll suffer for it in the morning! What started out as a small family thing, with just us and the grandbabies, grew into a bigger thing, with a few more people. And because of that, I have to make sure the house is actually clean. I am not complaining, company always makes it feel like a party.

We're planning an Easter egg hunt and a vegetarian, for the most part, barbeque. My flowers are blooming nicely and are so colorful and pretty - perfect for Easter! My porch got cleaned off and the grass is long enough. Oh and the weather will be cooperating. Yay!



                                                                         
Memorial 
I had quite a day. I drove down to my hometown area for the memorial service of my siblings' father. It was held at the Ellis Lake Gazebo. A little while before he passed, he had given his heart to the Lord and finally found peace. It was a nice service, with the minister doing the service explaining that he had given his life to the Lord in prison, 25 years before. Now he has the opportunity to lead others to God and comfort them in their loss. I love hearing about when prisoners turn their lives around and serve God.

Freaky trestle!!!!!!!
Memory Lane
It was so weird driving around there today. It felt so strange - like as if almost 20 years had not gone by since I've lived there. So many things that were there then are torn down now, but traces of the past still linger everywhere. I had my 13 year-old daughter with me and showed her some of the sights. Like the train trestle we used to walk over that has all the rickety old boards and always was missing some. It was soo scary, I had nightmares for years about walking over the trestle. Of course I pointed it out from the bridge next to it as we were driving by. SCARY.

This was where we hung out. Looking out from this porch was a cemetery.  At the time it was a church and a guy I was hanging out with knew some of the people there. Before it was a church it was a mausoleum...so creepy! 

Then I pointed out the cemetery that a couple of the bad kids I started running around with, liked to hang out at. They hung out on the porch of what was I think a church, but yeah it was weird. I didn't mind too much then, I guess. I had some nightmares about that years later, too. We weren't there all the time.

Then I showed her where the train tracks used to go down the middle of the street and the area where the trains were that I used to hop. Oh my! I was thirteen. She's thirteen, thank God she is not doing the things I was at her age!! I showed her a little neighborhood store I used to go to and a liquor store we used to buy candy at. But it was so weird. Like time stopped. Like I was back there again...17 years ago when I was 22. Like no time had gone by, except I've changed....a lot.                                                  


I've been there plenty of times over the years, but I haven't been in awhile. And over the past few years, I have been thinking a lot about life then and now. And wow! I wouldn't recognize myself. So I kept thinking how cool it might be if I ran into some of the people I used to hang out with and man, I think they'd be surprised. I was a tough kid. With a tough attitude and now I'm the opposite. And I have a feeling most of them are still on the same old path. It would be so amazing to give them the hope I've found in the most beautiful person I have ever met, Jesus. Oh, I love Him.

Prisoner Update
Since I mentioned prisoners, I'll update you on the blog I wrote a couple of weeks ago, called- And My Heart Melts... Altogether there were six, but one is getting out next month. I decided to write to all of them, except the one getting out, and ask if they would like to start writing again. I really hope Josiah does. I wrote to him for two years. I've grown attached to this guy. He's so free with his feelings. So honest with them and vulnerable. He was always a perfect gentleman and very polite. So I am hoping I will get another chance to write and continue the friendship.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Difference God Makes

Old Houses

Down By the River