Small Groups

I am so thankful for my small group. There were many years that I was pretty lonely in church, in life too. I remember praying for friends. Just one good friend. Guess I had been spoiled in my earlier years with close friends, but they were no longer in my life. I knew that I was missing out. Most of it was because I was somewhat isolated and didn't have a lot of outlets to make friends. I also wanted deeper relationships than the ones I was having with people in my small church. Seemed like I always wanted to talk on a deeper level or about spiritual things and it just didn't happen.

Years before, we had started a small group bible study and it was nice. But that ended after awhile. So for the next several years I had wished we could do that again. It was something that I wondered and prayed about for a long time. I was sort of afraid of doing it. Finally I asked a couple of people if they wanted to get together once a week and they did. There were three of us for over a year and then a fourth joined. It provided us with deeper connections in the church and with friendship and support. After a couple of years we had to stop meeting and boy did I feel the void!

So about a year went by and I was just wanting my group back. Finally I asked if they wanted to start meeting again and that's what we did. I think it's been about 8 months and I couldn't be more blessed. The support is wonderful. I know they'll always pray for me and help me through the hard times. It feels good to provide a place for them to come, as well. There are 6 of us now. It is one of the biggest blessings in my life. It provides so much joy and happiness and is a great place to learn.

Since we began again we've been going through pretty in-depth studies; the first set was a women's series and the second was on prayer. We read a lot of bible passages and answered lots of questions. Today we started a new book called "Communion with God." It's on prayer, as well. The lessons are extremely simple (which is nice for a change). It allows plenty of time for discussion :) If we do one lesson a week, this book could cover a year.

Today, I once again enjoyed the friendship of my small group in prayer, discussion and of course some hug-therapy!!

If you are not a part of a small group and you want to receive a real blessing and closeness with others, you should think about finding or starting one.

Comments

  1. Thanks for posting these thoughts. I was part of a small group Bible study for quite awhile, leading out on most of the Bible study itself. Then there was some drama between some of the members and the group fell apart. :( Since then, I haven't been part of any groups and I really miss it. Once we get to Seattle, I hope to find a new church home and join a small group. I'm so glad you've been blessed with a great one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you are involved in a group, you sure miss it when you're not, for sure. Hope you are able to find a great group. If not you may meet some newfriends and start your own. I live in a really small town and go to a small church. The people in my group had a need--whether it was that they lived alone or were shy or even new and struggling. And I needed their friendship and support. So it's working out for us. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Difference God Makes

Old Houses

Down By the River