Getting Ready for the New Year

I'm really excited about this upcoming New Year. Well every year I start feeling this way, to a certain extent. It seems that maybe one would feel this on their birthday. This anticipation and new hope for another year. To see how it unfolds and what it holds. For some reason, for me, it's all reserved for the New Year. Strange, but I think this is one of my favorite holidays. I like to reflect over the past year and dream of the upcoming one and pray.

Several years back I used to name the new year...this will be the year of renewal, etc. Last year I came up with one word to describe it...'trust'. And it hasn't been the easiest year for me. A lot of struggles in my life. But I've felt God's closeness and comfort through the hard times and confusion. And it has not all been difficult, God has given me so many wonderful experiences as well. He's stretching and growing me in so many ways. He's given me people to help and opportunities to minister to others and to be ministered to. I have felt a great sense of fulfillment and joy over this past year. I've cut out some things that I was doing, early on this year, and have seen what was left be blessed by Him.

God has answered so many of my prayers. I know that I belong in the church I'm in, doing what I'm doing. There are specific people that need me and it is an honor for me to help them. Truly a privilege. This is an area that I was uncertain about at the beginning of this year. But now it's crystal-clear. It's nice to know you are where you belong, doing what you are supposed to be doing. Thank You, Lord, for the opportunity to reach out to others.

I have watched as His great hand of Providence has moved us to where He wanted us to live. And several months after the fact, I see why. Though, at the time of the move, I knew it was a God thing because it came to us and all fell into place without our even trying. We didn't even have to have any money (which was good because we didn't have it). But God provided everything we needed.

I have watched Him provide miracle after miracle on our behalf. He has provided food and money when we've needed it and so many blessings. As well as surrounding us with loving friends and family.

This year has been the year of 'trust' and the word has fit so well. I've had to hold onto his hand, through my son's collapsed lung and surgery, I've prayed for guidance and deliverance and help and He hasn't let me down. So through the hard times, He's held me up and He's blessed me and has provided all our needs and even some wants. I've also really tried to put Him first this year and the things He's given me to do. I've tried to "give it to God" more. He has shown me He's more than able. The passage that I've felt like I was living out this year was...


But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Matt.6:33-34


It has been a year of new things. God has balanced every tear with a smile. And has not left us to ourselves. So I am praying about this New Year. Praying for a word to describe it. And I am so excited!! I hope that you will seek God and His will for your life in this New Year. His plans are much better than anything we could come up with :) God bless you.


Leave a comment. I'd love to hear about your past year and hopes for the New Year.


*I forgot to mention something when I posted this yesterday. I was baptized on New Year's Eve of 1999. So that is another reason this time is so meaningful to me.

Comments

  1. Excellent thoughts JoHanna. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Pam. Just visited your blog and really enjoyed it. You have a lovely family :) Have a blessed New Year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Old Houses

The Difference God Makes

Down By the River