Gifts


Twinkling lights. Shiny, colorful ornaments. Silver tinsel. A sparkly star. All adorning a fresh evergreen tree and underneath- pretty packages all tied with bows. Big, happy smiles. Laughter and squeals. Wonder and anticipation. Joy and delight. Surprise!

Christmas gifts. There's nothing like the joy a kid (or anyone for that matter) feels when they are opening gifts. What's inside? Is it a sweater from Aunt Fern? If so, will it fit? Will I like it? Will I ever wear it? Maybe there's something I've been wanting and hinting around about for a long time. I hope I get it! My heart's desire. Sigh... Especially in the few days before Christmas, the excitement and anticipation grows. Well you all know the feeling.

I think there's one thing better than Christmas gifts. Spiritual gifts. They're not always obvious. Sometimes they need to be opened with much prayer. To every believer at least one is given to use in service to others, for building up the church.

So for awhile you may wonder what it is. You wonder if it will fit. Will you like it? Will you be able to use it. Will it be boring? Will Johnny get a better one? Or more than you?

I think our gifts go hand in hand with our passion. God wouldn't give something that, when it was used, would be drudgery. So if I EVER received a very nice and expensive mixer for Christmas, my heart would sink and then the mixer would definitely stay in the box, unused, forever! But my daughter received one this year(early) and she was thrilled! This was "it" for her. It's her "thing" to bake and she's so excited to use that super-nice and spendy mixer that would only sit at the bottom of my closet along with a bunch of other "useless junk". Not that mixers aren't good and useful, just not something I want to use.

God doesn't give us ill-fitting, "useless junk". He spends time thinking about us, He knows our size and carefully plans and hand-picks each gift especially for us. He even has it engraved with our name. It's special and unique.

So pray to understand your gift/gifts. Because believe it or not, we can do plenty of things we're not gifted for. Which feels a little like me trying to use and have fun with a shiny, pretty mixer- drudgery. But when I'm recognizing, using and appreciating my gift, especially selected and prepared by the hand of my Creator and Savior, it brings much joy, satisfaction and fulfills it's intended purpose. It's the gift that keeps on giving. As you use it to bless others, you are blessed. Share it.

Hope you have fun this Christmas guessing, opening and trying on the thoughtful spiritual gifts God has given you! Rejoice! And please, DON'T bury them in your closet!


Lists of Spiritual Gifts
Romans 12:6-8
1Corinthians 12:8-10
1 Corinthians 12:28                       Ephesians 4:11
1 Peter 4:11

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Old Houses

The Difference God Makes

Down By the River